What to do?

"In case I die in this mess I leave all to the wife. Cecil Geo. Harris.”

By Schonauer Law on Sep 24, 2019 at 08:56 PM in What to do?

Generally, there are three requirements to form a will.  Generally, a will must be written, signed by the testator, and witnessed by two people who sign under penalty of perjury.  However, California recognizes holographic wills under probate code section 6111, that require the material provisions be in handwriting of the testator and a signature.


Temporary Spousal Support

By Schonauer Law on Sep 18, 2019 at 09:05 AM in What Does it Mean, Legal Questions, What to do?

Once a petition for dissolution has been filed, and before final adjudication the court may order temporary spousal support (pendente lite) either spouse amount necessary for the support of the other spouse. 


Case Submitted – Now What?

By Schonauer Law on May 06, 2019 at 07:46 PM in What to do?

The statutory provisions relating to family law matters after trial are strict. Understanding what the court may, and may not do, may be vital to both an appeal and avoiding and a voidable judgment that may be set aside on appeal.


Fee Awards

By Schonauer Law on Jan 18, 2016 at 11:38 AM in What to do?

The court may order the payment of fees and cost based on the parties’ "relative circumstances" (i.e., respective income, assets, needs, and abilities to pay) to ensure equal legal representation in court. Such awards may be granted to provide the party the money needed to hire an attorney.


Pathways to Dissolution

By Schonauer Law on Aug 26, 2015 at 12:00 PM in What to do?, What Does it Mean

There are several procedural models or methods that may be used. The differences between each method relates to the involvement of an attorney and the court.