A parent’s desire to changes residence is often a sufficient change in circumstances to warrant a modification of custody and visitation order. Whether there is a sufficient change of circumstances will primarily depend on the age of the child and whether the move is across town or half-way across the world. Even experienced attorney’s misunderstand the rules the court must follow when faced with one parent’s request to change the primary residence of the child(ren). A request to move may also involve a custody evaluation by a third-party professional who will submit a recommendation to the court.


If you ask the court to change the current order because you wish to move with the child(ren), understand the hurdles you face. A thirty-minutes consultation is enough for me to inform you of the work required for success.